Re: Lightning beads

Hi,

Wonderful movie!!!!

I saw that bright fragment too. I might be a fragment of metal blowing off the antenna since it has that trajectory but it seems very "odd"...

I have the video in MPG format for those who can't play with the WMV format files at:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/june14tower.mpg

There is another bright object at the very end that originates at the strike point on the tower and goes downward to the right.

I wonder if the beads are like a "burning water" effect. People have done work with exploding water by pumping a large amount of electricity into a small bit of water. Perhaps a VERY high power arc could break the oxygen/hydrogen bond and then the resulting "fire" is it recombining. I am not sure if that is possible, but maybe... If so, it should be easy (for those knowledgeable in such things) to calculate how much power per unit volume is needed.

Regular burning is well known, but I don't know if anyone has worked on super high energy plasma burning effects. How things burn when suddenly heated to say 20,000C for example... Unlike a microwave burning ball with 2kW of RF being supplied, natural ball lightning seems to burn all buy itself suggesting that there must be some fuel... A small bit of say wood has enough energy to "power" a ball for a few seconds. Seems a matter of how that "burning" is accomplished...

The voltage of these arcs is probably not as important as the current, time duration, and power/volume. Marx generators are probably too fast to reproduce an event like this. Perhaps a very high power LC circuit triggered with our favorite coil could do it.... Something like Bill's test here but with an inductor to drag the time of the arc out much longer:

http://www.ttr.com/hist.html

I think this test did a lot of damage to the electrical service if I remember right... It is a fairly difficult thing to play with...

Cheers,

        Terry