Re: Aircraft and lightning

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> I have observed such tendril sheets move from horizon to horizon from a
> storm several miles away.

Now THOSE are freaky.   I never saw them myself, but had people ask me
about them via email.  They were described as totally silent.  One
eyewitness said they were pink, very dim and hard to see, and acted like
parallel filaments all marching along with one end growing and the other
end vanishing.  Then I saw something similar on video, on one tape of the
"Tornado Video" series.

> Its even possible to follow them with movements of your head.
> The one that I assumed made my hair move, progressed  almost instantly
> across the sky and with no sound.
> It appeared to be at a relatively low altitude compared the sheets I can
> follow with my head.

Yeah, you might expect these to be silent, since the current at any
particular point in the plasma filament would smoothly rise and smoothly
decay. But then cloud-to-cloud lightning should also be silent, no?
Hmmm.  Speculation: I wonder if two networks of plasma filaments grow
within clouds (or one triggers the start of a distant one.)  Then if they
ever connected together, there'd be a big bang, as with any capacitor
discharge.

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com http://amasci.com EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci