Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  > Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > No wonder my larger DRSSTC has a Freau number greater than 2
>  > (confirmed 3300W input for 120" sparks).  And interestingly, it seems
>  > that my sparks would grow from say 3 feet at 450VDC to like 9 feet a
>  > 500VDC... there was a very sharp point at which the sparks just took
>  > off (no pun intended).
>
> if your Freau number is _slightly_ greater than 2 at 500v dc (9 feet),
> then how much is it at 450v dc (3 feet) - slightly greater than 1? :-)))

Im not sure if you are trying to make an invalid assumption here or
not.  When you design a tesla coil, you design it to produce some
spark length at a given power.  Most coils will not deliver their most
efficient performance until you reach a certain point (mine takes off
when the buss voltage is about 500V, and then continues to grow
linearly after that).  I did not write down the line current at
various points... if you would like me too, i could.  The DRSSTC
should remain relatively efficient even when its not operating in its
ideal bang-energy range.  I do seem to recall the line current
changing drastically going from 3' to 9' sparks (voltage and current
are not linearly related), but i really should check to be sure.  In
either case, im only concerned about efficiency when its working at
its designed spark length (10-12' or so).

Steve Ward