Re: Tesla Coils & Ball Lightning

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/3/05 7:17:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I suspect there is some undiscovered physics going on with BL.
Classic E/M theory cannot explain it. We should be bold enough to
look into the "fringes" 'cause that's where the new breakthroughs
will be found.
Steve Z

Hi Steve,

That is also where a lot of tired old garbage, and simply crackpot stuff is also found, and, unfortunately, many neophytes and science buffs can't tell the difference. The idea that each and every unexplained transient phenomenon requires that a "new physics" be invented is a pretty good evidence of such a dilettante tyro.
Even if a most reputable Nobel Laureate reports seeing something, the only valid assumption you can make without corroboration is that something caused an impulse on his optic nerve. Anything else is conjecture.
A group of scientists standing in close proximity, looking at the aftermath of a summer rainstorm can agree to a high degree as to where the end of the rainbow appears to be. Of course, it isn't there, but any normal human standing in that same place and time will report the same approximate observation.

Matt D.