Re: surface breakdown was Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tl> Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tl> At 07:25 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
>>Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>Based on experience, 5kV/inch seems to be a reasonable surface
>>gradient to maintain on the outside of a secondary form.

Tl> Is that for creeping discharges on the surface, or a "free air"
Tl> distance from toroid to base?  Seems a bit low for the latter.

"... average field required for breakdown is about 5kv/cm"

isbn 5-89155-013-x
Bazelyan and Raizer "spark discharge", page 18.
it`s for "free air".

-----
I am skeptical about space aliens too, but space aliens have a greater
probability of existence in my opinion than extra garage space...
(c) Richard Quick  6-07-95 03:59