Re: Safety Considerations

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I'm still new to practical coiling but I have a 1KVA system and I go by the assumptions "Treat it with the same respect as TNT" and "All sparks are lethal". Fooling around with HV AC streamers is one step closer to the end and I'm sure the more experienced coilers will say the same thing. As a physical precaution I always have at hand a C02 extinguisher and a nylon tube about 1.5M long. As an electrical precaution I have RCD, MOV and filters. I do however operate indoors, which some would say is a bad idea.

Thanks

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 7:13 PM Subject: Re: Safety Considerations

Original poster: boris petkovic <petkovic7@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

>    Question 2: how hazardous is the output of the
> secondary itself? I
> know very well that the primary side carries lethal
> current and must
> be avoided at all times.
-----
Depends on the power levels and size of  secondary top
loads in general.
Powerful coils in KW+ range ,with a big hats,  can
knock you down with no problem.Especially if you are
grounded.
Please note that coilers prefer design with big
toroids today.

Smaller, 100 W coils with small or no toroids, usually
deliver just a slight shock or no shock at all.But
this can also vary.
As concerns burns,they can occur always:depending on
the duration of current flow,contact areas etc.

Primary tank directly linked to PSU ,is a very
dangerous system part.Can be a killer for humans,even
in less powerful coil.

VTTC and CW operated coils ,due to different
excitation modes,produce smother rf output with
decreased or no DC component.Electric shock is not
hazard,but burns can be very nasty.

My advice :avoid contact with sparks.
-----
 But I've seen pictures of
> people touching
> the sparks from their coils, and this looks very
> fascinating to say
> the least.
-----
I hesitated to say this but I couldn't  resist a
temptetion. In my eyes they look like a complete
idiots doing that (and releasing such pics on the
internet)

Safe coiling,
Boris

_