To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: Tesla Coils & Ball Lightning

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Chris,

On 2 Aug 2005, at 21:27, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Brett,
>
> It's hard to convince sceptics, an investigator with long > experience
> in lighting and high voltage work published a paper claming that > out
> of thousands of photographs studied there was no indication of > ball
> lightning.  "Berger, K (1973).  Ball lighting and lighting > research".
> It is consequently unlikely that a lightning professional would > risk
> ridicule and due criticism through being associated with a subject
> such as BL, one might as well study witchcraft.  I on the other > had
> don't care, but who's going to listen to my ideas or beliefs :-)

I do not think for a moment that personal attacks (ridicule) have a
place in science. Neither do I think have beliefs. Evidence to
substantiate or refute a hypothesis are what I consider to be valid
components of the scientific method. I have previously read (long ago
in many cases) most of what was presented at the url you gave. It is
regrettable that Tesla is not around to demonstrate to us all that he
claims to have done. I don't recall reading any first hand
observations of BL production in accounts by any of his biographers
(Cheney, O'Neill et al) so their accounts are not much use.
     Some first hand reports of natural BL occurrences that have been
reported onlist (and I'm not thinking about the most recent ones)
make no mention of the phenomena being produced in an explosive
fashion as Tesla claims in that piece that they (always?) are. For
myself, the best I can do short of winning a lottery and setting up a
facility to investigate possible methods of BL production is to read
accounts by those who have witnessed it and those who have tried to
produce it (R. Golka in particular). I would find a demonstration of
its production on stage by the Corums most convincing. Even showing
of the video that the stills shown in their 90's (?) ITS papers were
taken from would be most helpful. I wonder if they showed the video
in that presentation? Anybody know?
     Unfortunately, belief doesn't get us any further in quantifying
the exact nature of BL so we are still in the dark as to what it is
and how to produce it. Some years ago one list member went to some
pains to build (IIRC) a double-resonator TC to try and produce some
and got nowhere. FWIW, Marx banks have been considered as possible
starters for BL production and one scheme mooted some years ago
proposed a TC + Marx bank as a possible starting configuration.
Again, nothing seems to have come of it. I suspect that if a
definitive method of producing fireballs was arrived at it would be
part and parcel of every public TC demonstration. I for one wouldn't
mind losing my garage if I found out how to do it at will ;)

Malcolm