Re: Safe distance for photographing operating tesla coils with digital cameras?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Digital and Video cameras less than a few years old
> seem very immune
> to noise from Tesla coils.

I'll second that. I have shot hundreds of pictures at
all distances with three different cameras- an Olympus
C3000Z, a Canon PowerShot S45, and lately a Pentax
ist-Ds, and I've never had any trouble. Except that
the infrared remote control on the Olympus would never
work while the coil was firing. I think radiated EMI
got through the window and jammed the sensor.

One of my favourites is the one I use as a banner on
my site:

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/tctitle.jpg

I made the logo out of bent copper wire and excited it
with a mini coil on low power. The camera was maybe 8"
away and the corona was maybe 0.75".

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/