Re: DRSSTC RF Ground

Hi,

At 05:00 PM 8/2/2005, you wrote:

Hi, I posted this subject a few weeks ago with no responses. I would like to run a large DRSSTC (DAN M's) in my garage.
Would the iron "lally" columns going into the cement floor make a good RF ground? I would think so??

Probably not. Dry concrete is not a good RF conductor at all and the dirt under the slab is probably pretty dry. If there are bolts, they probably only go into the concrete a few inches. If the conduction is poor, the RF my go up into the roof which is never good.

Go over to Radio Shack or the hardware store with $7 and get a REAL ground rod you don't have to worry about. You don't have to pound it all the way in. 2 or three feet in damp ground is fine.

You could probably use a simple copper pipe too. I would avoid iron or magnetic metals since they hate RF.

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks much, Marc

<mailto:xp88@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>xp88@xxxxxxxxxxxxx