Re: Safety Considerations

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Chris,

No part of the system should be touched while in operation. Especially the primary circuit is very dangerous, because of high voltages and currents and the low frequency. Currents at this frequency will directly flow through your body. Currents as small as 50mA can kill you and currents in the primary coil are 2000 times higher! The streamers ("lightning") from the secondary are dangerous and even lethal. The radio frequency lies outside the nerve cells' detection ability, which means that you don't notice that there are 100W of power traveling along your tissue and blood vessels, cooking you from inside out. Never do a stunt and touch or get close to the streamers! Instead, use long plastic rods with an end metal terminal that is connected to ground. With this, you can safely draw arcs off the coil. Even the switched off unit still contains danger because capacitors may still contain enough energy to at least cause a powerful shock. Always discharge capacitors. Capacitors should also be stored with their electrodes shorted, as they may charge themselves over time. Tesla coils are high frequency devices, producing strong electromagnetic fields in their environment.

Under any circumstances, ensure that nobody wearing a pacemaker is near the Tesla coil while in operation. Sensitive electronic equipment may be destroyed by the fields near the coil. This does not only apply to pacemakers, but also to computers, VCRs, and other sensitive electronics. Radio frequency interference is also possible, especially, if the spark breakout is prevented by an over-sized top capacitance. However, the most common cause is bad RF grounding. Good RF grounding is essential for good Tesla coil operation.

Besides the danger to your own life, there might also be a danger to other lives such as your partner, playing children and pets. Never work alone and always have an emergency stop installed. It is advisable not to allow someone else to operate your Tesla coil without your supervision. It might also be wise to do a CPR course and have an Automated External Defibrillators (AED) available. An AED is a device that allows the most inexperienced user to safe your life. Once connected to a person whose heart has stopped as a result of electrocution, the AED measures the amount of energy that is necessary to reactivate the heart. Ask your local Red Cross office for more information.

Best regards,

Sebastiaan

--

Best regards,