To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: Teslas Ball Lightning

Original poster: boris petkovic <petkovic7@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Brett,

>  > In conclusion, efforts to classify ball lightning
> as
>  > an illusion
>  > represents an undesirable philosophy in science.
-----
I agree.There are just too many  reports of people
being in the group to classify it as an illusion.
-----

<SNIP>

> That reminds me, I have actually seen one form of
> it,
> and it lasted quite a while.  I was messing with
> pulling vertical arcs off of a big MOT with a
> tungsten
> rod attached to a 4' PVC handle.  Maybe I can video
> that and submit my photos to the list soon.

-----
Apparently,The Corums have taken photos and had
videotapes of the "ball lightning" produced by a TC
activity with only ~5 kVA input.
I don't trust their theory relating  classical TC
operation,but it seems they know how to generate small
plasma balls with lifetimes of up to 3 seconds.
Never seen that video though.

It is interesting Tesla had 10 years of high frequency
experience prior to coming to CS,coiling on daily
basis,and never created "balls of fire" in NY despite
powers in excess of 5 KW.
It was not untill 1899,when he cranked up to 50 kW and
saw the phenomenon.He claimed he learned how to
deliberately create them ,but again he claimed many
other things in his life...

It is my impression he associated conditions creating
them with extremely high instantenous powers and
average high powers in general,while TC being detuned.
It is mentioned in his famous patent from 1914.

All the Best,
Boris