Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Steve.

Tl> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>i`ve calculated the toroid voltage (70 cm diameter) - 1.2 MV -
>>what height should be the secondary to prevent flashovers?

Tl> I believe it should be about 1.2 metres since the breakdown strength
Tl> of air is 3MV/m and the tracking strength across a surface is roughly
Tl> one-third of that- 1MV/m.

where did you find that? It`s 3MV/m for DC, but we have HF AC, so this
value can be several times smaller, 1MV/m - i like it much more :-)

Tl> But that's just a rule of thumb. In practice I reckon the secondary
Tl> can stand more than 1MV/m since the winding acts as a series of grading rings.

but the height of these "rings" is so small, comparing to commercial
insulators :-)
let`s speak a little about your "Tesla Four":
http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/ol2mega.html
"There were also flashovers down the length of the secondary, and
strikes to the floor."
exactly what i need. what was the secondary voltage here - roughly (i
don`t know the toroid capacitance and bps)?

"It finally struck the cables leading from the power supply to the
coil and blew something in the driver box."

you didn`t have a couple bucks for RG-213? :-)))

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/ol2resonator.html
"The breakout voltage for a 8" x 24" toroid is... something like
600kV"

recently Antonio have posted the chart, and according to it breakout
voltage for this toroid must be equal to 342kv - something wrong here
:-)

-----
I am skeptical about space aliens too, but space aliens have a greater
probability of existence in my opinion than extra garage space...
(c) Richard Quick  6-07-95 03:59