Re: No Terry filter

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've seen some 1-2 kVA "piglets" every now and then (prob 75-100lb each). They are rated 7.2kV and have the same 110 kV BIL rating. Wonder how many of these in series (like mots) I could go before something arced internally? I've done 2 of the 14.4 kV ones before (before moving on to x-ray ones, cheaper voltage on ebay), but midpoint-grounded the secondaries like an nst.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: No Terry filter

Dan, all,

Well, I can speak from the other end of the spectrum on this issue.
I've suffered failure just about every time that I have used an NST
without a "Terry filter". Sometimes even if I kept the spark gap very
conservatively spaced and the primary cap considerably LTR, the
NST(s) that I used still wanted to go "pift". Maybe I just had bad luck with getting NST "lemons". That's one reason that I ended up
going more for a pole pig. Not only are pole pigs practically bullet proof (I've NEVER had one of these to fail no matter how much abuse I give it), they are also very powerful and thus are great
for LONGGGG sparks ;^)

David