Re: Aluminium Magnet Wire for Secondary

Original poster: Karl Lindheimer <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Paul,

It sounds as if you got a "bad" roll of wire.  I have not had any
problems with magnet wire I buy from standard electronic suppliers,
however, you will pay more.

Karl

On Apr 23, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Everybody,
OK, magnet wire. I bought 3 lbs. of 26 AWG magnet wire on E-Bay. It
was advertised as high temperature wire. When I started winding the
coil, I noticed that every so often, I would feel a small bump, as if
the insulation (varnish or whatever) had formed a little run or
something. I checked with my mini microscope and sure enough, it is a
small bump of varnish. Is this common with magnet wire? I don't
remember running across this with wire I have salvaged from motors and
such and they all tend to have small bends in them from where they
were wound in the motor. Also, my son, who has incredibly sharp
eyesight, said he saw a spot without any insulation. Sure enough, when
I looked with the microscope, there was a tiny spot of bare copper
about the size of the end of a pencil lead. Did I get a supply of wire
that was a "second" or failed quality control or something like this?
It was advertised as new. It was also one of those "buy it now" deals
where you avoid the auction. I bought it from the wire company, not an
individual and it was only $13, which I thought was reasonable, if not
cheap. Any comments? Should I contact the company and complain or is
this just something to be expected with magnet wire?
Paul
Think Positive