Aluminium Magnet Wire for Secondary

Hi All,

I have about 4 pounds of #24 aluminum magnet wire. I was thinking of using it to rewind my small coil secondary. I know it is somewhat more resistive and all that, but I was just wondering if anyone had actually tried it before and had noted any problems with it?

I figure it will wind just like copper. Since the enamel is the same, glue and such should stick to it fine. The terminations are tooth washers and bolts so no solder is needed there. I might have to test it to be sure I don't pull it too hard and break it.

Aluminum has no real "spring" to it so it may tend to loosen more easily. I think it is softer than copper so it might wind easier.

Just thought I would check around to see if anyone knew of any special problems with it.

Robert Stephens sent it to me years ago, I finally will be able to use it now ;-)

Cheers,

	Terry