RE: Who all has built OLTCs?

Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Vasil,
	"I suppose that a scope is essential for an OLTC to see the
notches......So there will not be an OLTC in my yard too soon."

	Yes you do need a scope, but not particularly for the notches, if
you get you coil roughly in tune , you can tune the "on" times for maximum
sparks at low power and get near enough that way.

	You really need to scope to check the pulse rise time and rough
timings driving the IGBT. If you get that wrong, you can't over-drive the
brick by the usual 4 (or more) times  without seeing bits of it fly past
your head...

	The real advantage is that you only need a slow scope (10Mhz or less
) scope and once the timing is about right. You can leave it set for a
particular coil, just a small tweak if you alter the primary circuit or
coupling.

	Also If your timing does go haywire, you don't lose silicon..

	Cheers
		Derek