RE: Expensive hobby

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Paul:

I have many MOT's.  A number are marked 4000 Volt.  They are not.  All
of my MOT's have a ratio between 16:1 and 20:1.  Most of my MOT's have
an impedence with the secondary shorted of about 3 to 4 Ohms.  Thus they
will pull 30 to 40 amps from 120 Volt mains with the secondary shorted
-Don't try that.  You test at 10 VAC with the secondary open I have done
many times to verify ratio.  Note you will be reading 160 to 200 VAC on
the open secondary.  Hook up meter before applying power so you avoid
shock risk.

Mark

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mike,
I doubt it because this MOT is substantially larger than the other coils

and it has a lot more turns on the secondary. Also, the 4000 V is
labeled
right on the transformer with the manufacturer's data. Since the
manufacturer doesn't know how the end user is going to wire the
transformer, they wouldn't put the 4000 V assuming it is going to be
driving a voltage doubler or anything else, for that matter.

I'm curious, where did you get the 1650 vac figure? Almost everything
I've
read on this list and on countless web sites say that the majority of
MOT's
are 2000 vac and the heavy duty ones 4000 vac. I am going to drive them
with my variac set to 10 vac and measure the output from the secondary.
Then, I can extrapolate the output at 100 vac on the primary. Anyone
have a
better idea of determining the secondary voltage on MOT's??

Paul
Think Positive