Re: DRSS-XXX? (Cost of SGTC vs. SSTC)

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

My DRSSTCs didnt cost nearly as much as Terry's.  I scrounge most of
the expensive parts (heatsinks, big diodes, electrolytic caps).  The
coils are cheap to make as with a SGTC.  The control electronics are
pretty cheap.  You can make your own PCBs with copper clad board, a
marker and some etchant for a few bucks.  Lots of parts can be had as
samples from texas instruments and fairchild semiconductor.  If one is
*really* resourceful (as i think i am) you could make a DRSSTC for
$100.

The giant DRSSTC-2 might have cost $200 in parts total ;-)... though
its about to cost some more as i make new plans for it :-).

Terry spent a lot of money making everything professional with the
rack case, custom made PCBs (at $65 an order i think... adds up fast)
and buying a lot of parts (like the electrolytics) new.

IGBTs can be had on ebay for excellent prices still if you wait for
the right auction to come around.

Like Terry says, you do need to have a pretty solid background in
electronics to make everything work without a complete meltdown on
first light :-).  Ive learned all i know about electronics from tesla
coiling, and i learn all that from the internet.  I only started to
get the hang of solid state electronics about 2.5 years ago now.
Havent taken a single electronics course, so there is no excuse that i
had the chance to be educated at a university or anything.  And heck,
Jimmy Hynes was just a junior in high school when he came up with the
whole thing (not sure how he got so smart though! ;-))..  Oh, and i
guess i need to add Jimmy to the list of online resources as he has
helped me quite a bit.  I also owe thanks to Steve Conner for helping
me along with theory at times.

Steve Ward