Re: Fiberglassing a 8 Inch PVC form

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Don't bother with the fiberglass.  Just sand your PVC tube inside and out
and add 3 separate coats of Glyptal to seal.  Forget all the unneccesary
extra work --- no advantage at all with a coil this size.

The fiberglass will be non-uniform and is difficult to sand not to mention
the health hazards on your lungs.

Dr. Resonance

> Eric. Advice from experience. Fiber-glass appears to bond, IT DOSEN'T. If
> you first spray a coating of clear laquer then start your fiber glass the
> solvent in the laquer will make a bonding surface of the wet surface. If
you
> do not the fiber glass and PVC have a very differant coef of expansion and
> at cold temprature the fiberglass portion will break free and the windings
> will move.  The problem is that it dosent move evenly and you will get
> spaces/cracks in your windings of up to 1 inch. I have never had a broken
> winding  , but cracks look very bad and require patching.Why the cracks
only
> open up and never close I dont know but its a mess. wet spray first then
> fiber glass and avoid trouble.
>     Robert   H
> --
>

>  > From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  > Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:07:56 -0600
>  > To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>  > Subject: Fiberglassing a 8 Inch PVC form
>  >
>  > Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > Hi, I have a piece of 8 inch ID, 9 inch OD white PVC I got for free.
Its