Re: Movie of Wendover Coil Vs USAF test model aircraft.

I've just finished watching the video (great stuff for TC fans!), but
wish they had included some results from the test.  I've been associated
with the B-2 program for a number of years and have seen some of the
composite material samples which were tested for lightning strikes.  The
test generator was a very large Marx bank, which was able to do serious
damage (but not completely destroy) carbon-epoxy plates about 3/8"
thick.  Delaminated an area of perhaps 2" radius around the strike but
didn't punch a hole through the structure.  The purpose of these tests
was the same as in the Wendover tests - to help design techniques for
protecting the "avionics innards" from direct lightning strikes.  The
final solution worked just fine.

Ed

P.S. What was the total height of that coil?  How far was the model from
the coil?