Re: Tesla history project

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

The first large coil in the USA was built by George Kauffman in 1903 for the Carnigie Institute (college). It ran at 10 kVA with rotary spark gap and plate glass capacitors. It is still at the Buhl Museum/Planetarium in Pittsburg, PA. Kauffman's father worked in New York digging ditches with N. Tesla when Tesla was going through some hard times.

In 1930 a coil was erected at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

In the mid-1940's a German group was one of the first (after Tesla) to use a
large toroid atop the secondary coil for electrostatic field control.  This
also forces the coil to run efficiently at a single sec freq and not develop
standing wave interference from multiple frequencies.

Dr. Resonance