Re: Winding

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My secondary for my large coil is 1330 turns of 0.9 mm(19 AWG 0.037 inch) wire on 45 x 137 cm (18 x 54 inches) elevated 15 cm (6 inches). I used 11 kg (24 lbs) of C 220 (220 deg C) polyimide coated enamelled wire with 200 deg C rating as suggested by Dr Resonance. Cost was AUD$ 165. I used a geared down motor and a latex belt to drive the rotation for winding. That's 7 seconds per turn at 1400 turns = 3 hours in theory.
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Tesla_coil_18inch.htm#Secondary%20coil
Unfortunately, I was beset by Murphy's Law. Winding was interrupted when only 1/3 complete, by rain and gale force winds. The following day the windings had loosened and overlapped, possibly due to compression of the rather thin polypropylene former. I unwound the few hundred meters and started again. This time the winding belt broke so the wife and both kids were called out to provide the rotation in turns as each one tired during the almost 2km of winding. It took hours and was a tiring process for all. Many complaints and mutterings of '...never again...'. Then the wire ran out about 4 inches short of the end. Either my calculations were out or the wire was less than the specified 11 kg. I was not happy about the smoothness of some of the turns as well but will have to wait and see once I really put power into it. I gave several coats of polyurethane (total 1 litre) to fix the windings.

Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au

Original poster: "Gerald Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Now here's one for the books. I put a crank on my form and put my wife to work :-)) She would turn the crank and I would feed the wire. I would have her turn not to fast and if I screwed up she would stop and then I would slowly backup.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Kurt Schraner <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Well, that's exactly the same way, I'm winding my coils! A picture is
worth, more than 1000 words:
http://home.tiscalinet.ch/m.schraner/WindingUBTT.jpg
It shows the winding process of the last of the 4 coils (5", 1680 turns each), for 2 of my Uni-Bern-Tesla-Twins, during hot August 2003. Winding one coil took about 1.5 hours, and my wife Margaret was the best, cooperative "intelligent motor" to do that job, you can think of. It has also markedly softened her attitude towards my HV stuff, which she is jokingly calling "your catastrophe" ;-).
Kurt