Re: marx chokes

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The inductance of a Marx choke is not the critical parameter, but rather the volt-seconds it can support without saturating. Design the Marx choke simply as a pulse transformer, without a secondary. The primary and core must be able to support the Marx cell voltage over the duration of the pulse. Here's a pic of a Marx choke [labeled isolator in the pic] that's actually wound 4-in-hand to pass DC power up the stack as well:
http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esd/NLCMarxCell.gif

This Marx cell is part of a larger Marx bank, outlined here:
http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esd/NLCMarxBlock.gif

The Marx choke is tapewound copper foil over Kapton onto a stock MetGlas core, and can support 1.5kV for about 2 uS. Come to think of it, I didn't actually measure it's open ckt inductance, but would guess it's a good fraction of 1H.

-GL

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Malcolm:

What was the value of your chokes?  I would like  to try this idea as well.
Digi-Key stocks a large number of iron core chokes.

Dr. Resonance