Re: Double layer primary

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Your innermost turn should remain the same. The outermost tap is adjusted for resonance. Use a short rod off the toroid so you can easily see the spark difference as you tune. Don't just tune off the toroid itself.

In the best designs the innermost turn of the copper tubing feeds directly
down through the upper base to the sparkgap.  This reduces the need for an
additional tap which would increase resistance and present a venue for
corona formation off the sharp edges of the tap.  Eliminate this tap and run
the copper tubing direct.  Place insulation over the spot where it goes
through the upper base plate.  We use a generous amount of electrical tape
and cover it all with heatshrink for neatness.

Dr. Resonance