Re: ASRSG question

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi David,

Seems like a 15KVA pig should charge OK. Cres for 15KVA ballast should be 192 nf so you are operating very close to resonance (.2 uf) or STR mode with .1 uf. I think someone said that the arc welder would ballast at about 30 amps of 240Vac (or 7.2KVA). If this is true, you would be only able to charge half of the capacitance as with full power. In either case (full or half power), 0.2 uf or 0.1 uf would be close to resonance. Did you bring up the ASRG to speed before powering the pig. If not, maybe resonant rise killed the caps. I'm just thinking out loud here. I have no experience with PIGs yet. If you could scope the primary (using HV probes) maybe something could be learned. How low of RPM do you estimate you went?

Gerry R

I tried both .1 uFd and .2 uFd. .2 uFd is a pretty big capacitance,
I know, but the 3500 rpm is the MAX rpm rating of the motor
and I wasn't running it at its max rpm. The rsg motor is a DC
with infinite speed control via a variac but I can't really tell ex-
actly what rpm I'm running. I can only aproximate it by measuring
the input voltage and multiplying the product of the input volt-
age/130 since 130 VDC is the rated voltage of the motor. I
figured the 15 kVA pig can charge even a pretty large primary
cap pretty fast although I haven't done the exact math on this
with JAVATC yet.

The pig is ballasted with a the guts of a 225 Lincoln arc welder
set at its maximum (225 amp) weldeing setting and I am using
(2) .1 uFd, 50 kV Hipotronics pulse caps for either .1 uFd
byt using just one, or .2 uFd buy paralleling them.

David