Re: 60Hz

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 7:40 PM Subject: Re: 60Hz

> Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx> > > its possible.... but do you have enuf money to build it??? ;) we are > talking several miles of wire, a huge toroid, and a massive primary... let > alone the transformer to power it... ideas are kewl > but the math will humiliate one in a hurry... financially and > realistically... if it was that easy we would all be doing it ... I > know I would be...

Actually, this is a great exercise in Tesla Coil design math... We've covered it a bit before.. But, Steven, get one of the tools and start running some numbers.. start with a 200 ft high by 50 ft diameter secondary. Figure out a toroid that will fit. Rummage through that McMaster-Carr catalog for parts.. How many miles of wire? How much will it weigh? How will you support it? What will the wire cost?

Sure, you'll never build it, but it's a heck of a lot more fun to work this
out than some horrible pointless word problem in math class about birds
flying back and forth between speeding trains.

Ask questions on the list if you run into roadblocks.. (ignore the "what
kind of insane idea is that" posts...)