Re: Toob vs. Tube

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt-at-socket-dot-net>

You got me wondering about my tubes , I have one pull and three new
304's and I checked and all four are good so I guess I will set the
4-1000's aside for now and look at a coil with the 304's. I do not know
much about tubes and had thought if you can run a 4-1000a in grounded
grid for an amp you could do the same for a coil but I did not compare
the grids but looked at the overall out put of the tubes. I saw you
could get more total watts out on a 4-1000. Oh well, I can use the
4-1000's in a RF amp later on.

Rich"

	There's nothing wrong with the 4-1000 but unless you're familiar with
using tetrodes in oscillators I think you'll have better luck with the
304 triodes.  Tetrode oscillators can be tricky and you don't want to
triode connect it.  If you don't burn out the filaments with too much
voltage and don't melt the grids I think they're pretty bullet proof.
I'd start with one and get something working and then consider adding
more, but probably others here can give better advice.

Ed