RE: humor, was:Re: Transformers for sale

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >Likewise,
 >NASCAR has made horse racing obsolete.

IMO, the reason why solid state coils are popular, is that the parts are
easier to get. Outside the US, if you want a neon sign transformer you
really have to scrounge hard. But you can buy all the parts for a SSTC from
any good electronics store. Also I think SSTCs have more "Geek value"
because they're more complicated.

 >I remember hearing the "Everything will soon be solid state" mantra back in
 >1958.

Well everything is solid state now. Commercial "Tesla coils", which is to
say resonant pulse transformers for things like klystron and e-beam power
supplies, have been solid-state driven for a while now. My point is that the
new technologies killed off the old ones pretty fast, except in hobbyist and
leisure fields. Plenty of people still fly gliders and paddle canoes for
fun, but I don't know of anyone who commutes by canoe.

Steve C.