Re: Breakout and Coupling

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi "rb",

If your not getting racing sparks up and down your secondary your coupling
is fine.  How long of a breakout point is in use?  Sometimes I have noticed
that if it's too short, it can be shielded by the toroid's field and you
will still get breakouts elsewhere.  Or, it may be that there are sharp
bumpy areas on the toroid that the streamers would rather issue from.  Try
this: Take a length of stiff wire and attach it to your toroid so that it
hangs out about a foot. Then keep shortening it until the toroid starts
breaking out.  If it still breaks out with the one foot wire, I would
suspect a sharp ridge or bump on the toroid.

David E Weiss

 > Original poster: "rb" <randyaz-at-cableone-dot-net>
 >
 > I have noticed in several pictures that when a breakout point is used
 > all/most of the streamers emanate from that point.  On my coil, it doesnt
 > matter what kind of breakout I use, I get undeminished streamers from all
 > around the toroid and only slightly longer ones from the breakout point.
Is