Re: Transformer explosions?

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

It has happened to me with an arc above the oil line in a closed 4-MOT
container without an explosion using naphthenic transformer oil from Caltex
although they give the flash point as 160C and don't suggest it be used in
flammable situations.  Nevertheless it probably has a low vapour pressure
and is very slow to evaporate despite the low viscosity.  I had taken the
precaution of not having the lid fixed down.  It would still be prudent to
have a minimal space however or some ventilation or fill the space with
some air or inert gas filled blown up plastic bags perhaps.  No problem for
sparks under the fluid level though - it is used for oil immersed HV switches.
Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au