Re: VTTC grid leak

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
As this circuit provides automatic level/bias control, I now
understand, why it is so difficult to amplitude modulate it. The
modulator tries to change the amplitude of the signal and the
oscillator tries to keep it constant.

Cheers,

Herwig

Hi Herwig,
     This is precisely why essentially all AM transmitters modulate in an
amplifier stage and leave the oscillator isolated and stable. A good
discussion of both oscillator stability and modulation problems may be
found in "Fundamentals of Vacuum tubes" by A. V. Eastman, McGraw Hill, NY
1941. It also has many specific references to now-obscure I.R.E Proceedings
papers from the 1920s and '30s.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.