Re: RE [Fwd: Marc Metlicka, a message from his family]

Original poster: "Harvey Norris" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Luc Benard" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
 >
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I follow the list at distance presently, not because
 > of a lack of interest
 > but because I couldn't make any serious HV work
 > presently.
 >
 > I had many interesting onlist and offlist talk with
 > Marc couple years ago,
 > and I can't resiste to Honor his memory and to offer
 > my condolence to his
 > family and friends.
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Luc Benard
Metlica Lab Visit./NE Ohio Workings
Fri, 14 Dec 2001
Had the pleasure to pay a visit to marc metlica in
Windsor Ohio couple of weeks ago. marc is definitely a
most unusual person, and I was glad to pay a visit to
his niche of a laboratory. He likes to take things
apart, and I did not know many things of note, being
somewhat naive in solid state devices to say the
least!

He showed me the arrangement with current limited
transformers where a (magnetic)shunt path exists which
limits the secondaries current flow by the
intermediary flux leakage on the intervening center
pathway of the figure 8 flux distribution. I had never
seen how that is actually done, but the transformers
he was using had the windings visible on the iron
cores.

He also produced a sort of U core, whereby the
realization of how they wind the cores themselves on
transformers became evident. How can you wind
something that has complete flux linkage? You saw it
in half, and wind it before putting it together.
Obviously I am only speculating, and Inverse es deuces
may be the order.

Then marc proceeded to set up a tube coil
demonstration, from just parts handy on the shelves,
and a schematic he printed out from his computer. He
said some other folks had already thought the tubes he
was using was too small, but hey I'm in the dark here.

In fact, marcs proposition did turn out to be a little
more laborius than the three of us thought possible.
After some numerous revisions, I happened to notice
something else that baffled me, Marc's transformer was
a single terminal variety, with completion of circuit
to chassis ground.

I asked him, I am accustomed to thinking that the high
voltage secondary is insulated from the laminations of
the  silicone iron core, so is the chassis of the
transformer as a metal part actually connected to the
core? I think this may have perplexed him for a
moment, so you dont ask so many questions to the man
trying to make the circuit work.

Finally marc began accusing me of looking at my watch,
when having none, I happened to notice the inadvertant
missing grid connection in his tube coil schematical
scheme of things. He then went on to proclaim me a
genius for this errant observation, and the fun with
the demonstration of this now working apparatus began.

The grounding approaching the top terminal may display
a better length of top arcing as it is brought into
the vicinity. Corona itself comes from the ground
brought into vicinity of the topload ashtray sized
metallic surface area. The device functions better
with the topload. (From past references}

Actually what probably hurt Marc the most was a severe
leg injury, while working on an overhead crane where
an errant employee pressed a button that almost cut
his leg off. Marc was lucky to survive and always had
a significant limp afterwards. The old injury may have
finally added up and shortened his life. I am also
glad to have visited Marc, and he also visited me. He
was a great collector of things that other people saw
no use for. He liked to tear things apart and put them
together again.
HDN