Re: drsstc (Capacitor Lethal charge)

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

A couple of weeks ago I defibrillated a patient in recurrent ventricular
fibrillation 8 times over 90 minutes along with artificial ventilation and
continuous cardiac massage and he survived (that part at least).  The
typical shock used is 200J which if unsuccessful is repeated at 200J then
360J. He would have had a total of 1.6kJ to his chest during that time.
Ventricular fibrillation is incoordinate contraction with no useful
pumping. The shock clamps down the heart and hopefully it starts again in a
coordinated manner.
For elective use for less serious heart rhythms, the shock is delivered in
a synchronous manner to prevent it being delivered during the phase of
electrical conduction when repolarisation is occurring (the T wave) when
the heart is vulnerable to being put into VF although if this happens you
just repeat the shock.
The defib cap does run to 500J but is limited in use and it does have a
series inductor to limit the peak current.  Burns can occur with multiple
shocks or poor contacts.  With the very best skin preparation with cleaning
the oils with alcohol then using conductive jelly and the usual conductive
pads and firm pressure I have been able to get down to 48ohms from memory
(the machine prints this out) .
I remember very old information that I grew up with that suggested that an
electric shock current across the arms of 100 - 200ma was most likely to
induce VF and be lethal (presumable this was AC) but over this was likely
to stop the heart (asystole) and it had a better chance of restarting.
I have two defib caps of 38uF 5.2kv for can crushing on my site
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/Other_HV_stuff.htm

Peter
There's nothing like the smell of defibrillation in the morning...