Re: A question about UV and homemade plasma globes

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Subject: RE: A question about UV and homemade plasma globes

 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
 >

 > On the other hand, household A/C and fridge compressors have a big oil
sump
 > in the bottom. If you keep on dribbling oil into these using Robert's
method
 > it will overfill and get into the motor, probably causing something bad to
 > happen.

Don't forget the external inlet is just a a contection to the housing.
The pump sucks in the air from inside the housing.
So the motor and its windings are fully exposured to the oil from the sump.
I don't think it could fill up past the internal inlet to the compressor.
The outlet is connected from the compesssor via an internal pipe to the
external outlet
A tleast on the big AC and fridge units I have cut open. Angle grinder and
time.

 > Or since they are so easy to find, just run it till it dies and then go to
 > the dump and pick up a new one.

Only half the ones I have picked up worked. But then given they are free!

Incidentally the oil getting sucked in with the air has a very desirable
effect of increasing the compression ratio.

  Bob