Re: A question about UV and homemade plasma globes

Hi

Many cheap bicycle tire pumps can be modified by just reversing the
diaphragm and filling some empty spaces with putty.  Put the reverse valve
as close as possible...  Edmund Scientific sells those nice little hand
pumps too (don't bother with the gauge) which will, in time, pump a very
good vacuum.  I have even sucked some good vacuums by mouth (practice with
a gauge), but your jaws will ache for a week...

On old refrigerator pump will draw a "very good" and fast vacuum.  Every
old fridge has one...  That is really the best way to do it for the common
"no money" solution.  Say a prayer and toss salt over your left shoulder as
you are venting the FR-12 ;-)))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P5200028.jpg

Be sure to grab all the motor start caps and relays with the fridge
pump...  Make a diagram of how it all hooks...  Even few to many torr
vacuums produce very cool effects when mixed with high voltage!!

Pet store tubing, valves, and such are perfect with a little TLC...

Cheers,

         Terry