RE: Edgewound primary

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Rick:

I would be concerned that the 3" width may result in eddy current
losses.  I know that in my primary AC resistance measurements
(http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/primary_resistance.htm), the 1" x .03"
ribbon did not fare as well as 1/4" copper tubing, despite a much
greater surface area.  I can't say if it was due to a less-polished
surface or eddy current losses, but thin stranding IS what Litz wire is
all about.  From my results, I'm not at all sure a ribbon offers any
benefit over tubing.

If you do manage to fold it in half lengthwise (in one contiguous
piece?!?!), it surely will not coil nicely.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Richard W." <potluckutk-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi list,

I have about 150 feet of .021" thick (16 oz) x 3" copper strip. I also
have
several hundred feet of 1/4" x 1-1/2" HDPE, one continuous piece, that I

plan to use to separate the coils.
As far as I understand the disadvantage of this is corona loss along the

sharp edge. If I were to solder #10 bare wire or #8 grounding wire to
both
edges would this be a viable solution? And yes, I believe I can
accomplish
this, won't be easy but I believe I can do it.
I have also read that the advantage of a strip primary is the increased
surface area of the conductor.
Also if needs be I'm also prepared  to fold the strip lengthwise. This
too
i believe I can do.
So what would be the "hot" setup with the materials I have?

Rick W.
Salt Lake city