Re: Research on lasers + high voltage discharges

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

***SNIP!***

 > laser beam. Does anyone
 > know how this is even possible??? How can a laser
 > which emits photons (a
 > mass less particle... emphasis) direct a flow of
 > plasma?
 >
 > Thanks again
 >
 > Regards,
 > ~Drew

Hi Drew,

Yeah, I've heard about schemes like this for many
years. The basic idea is to use a very brief, very
intense pulse of laser light to ionize the air on a
narrow path from the "gun" to the target. (A pulsed
nitrogen (UV) laser is often mentioned in such
schemes.) A high-voltage, high current pulse is then
conducted along this ion trail to the target. It's
sort of like a tazer without the wires. A thin trail
of ionized air replaces the trailing wires.

Can a Tesla coil discharge be "guided" using a laser
beam? I really don't know. I do know that I've never
seen or even heard about a practical demonstration of
a directed Tesla coil discharge. Of course, many
things are impossible until somebody does it for the
first time!

=====
Gregory R. Hunter

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg