From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 12:59 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: PT Ballast Question

Original poster: "gregory fader" <gfader-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I recently picked up a nice GE 1.5kva 100:1 pt and
have a question or two about limiting the current it
pulls from the line.

I set up a jacobs ladder using a 500ft spool of 12ga.
wire for ballast (as suggested by Terry Blake) and
found that it did indeed limit the current to around
26 amps.

I'd like to reduce the current further (to around 12
amps or so) before I incorporate this transformer into
my coil.  Would it be feasible to add another 500ft
spool of wire in series with the first?  Any guesses
how much additional current limiting this might give
me?

One other related question... If I were to get a MOT
or two to use as ballast, would this be more effective
than the wire spool method?  I'm keeping my eyes open
for an old arc welder to use as ballast, but in the
meantime...

All replies appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg