RE: possible sources for sheet lead and mineral/ transformer oil?

At 07:31 AM 10/8/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Gary Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>WARNING.  Lead from an e-ray room in a hospital or any other lead used as a
>shield will hold the radiation and release it in very small harmless
>amounts over a long period of time.  But if you melt that same lead it
>releases all the radiation that has been captured by the lead in a few
>seconds.   This can cause you to receive an over dose of radiation.
>
>Gary Weaver

Could you provide a mechanism by which this occurs?  Radiation shielding
doesn't work like an air filter with mechanical trapping of the
particles.  The absorption occurs at an atomic level and whether the lead
is liquid or solid would make no difference.  I can't imagine that any of
the decay products from a lead/photon interaction would be a gas that would
be trapped in the lattice.

Xrays, after all, are just photons.  When they get stopped by shielding,
they turn into heat.