Re: possible sources for sheet lead and mineral/ transformer oil?

Original poster: "Jack Vandam" <snotoir7674g-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Hi David,

Thanks for the tenth value physics review!  That brings back memories of
college days when we used to solve problems like that.

My "best friend" that I have with me during any radiation experiments is
either one of my two scintillation detectors.  The one is especially suited
to x-rays and uses a NaI type crystal in a thin rubber case to cut out
light.  If I point the probe at the bulb, for example, while it is
generating x-rays, even with the house, brick wall and air in between, it
will still pick up some of the x-rays, which is something the regular Geiger
probe fails to do.  Now if I really want to get fancy, I have a large piece
of scintillation plastic that is actually too sensitive for normal use, but
ideally suited for contamination measurements on a miniscule scale one the
background level is removed.

Probably standard glass goggles might help some if they are within the bulbs
visible radius or there is insufficient shielding.  The x-rays can scatter
quite a lot so the goggles could be helpful.  Thanks for the pointer.

Jack