From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 9:56 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Safety Gear (was: possible sources ... lead ... oil?)

Original poster: "Matthew Smith" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

David Trimmell wrote:
Also remember that it is a very good idea to ware safety glasses when
experimenting with Tesla coils and vacuum tubes, as they protect against
not only shattering glass, but also against "soft" x-rays. Soft x-rays
can cause cataracts in the cornea.

Any specific type of safety glasses?  My Bollé ones are (I think)
polycarbonate.  Would this stop soft X-rays?  (Not that I'm planning to
generate any.)  I know that they're fine for machining and general
low-velocity shrapnel but don't know whether actual glass would be a
better
radiation barrier.  (Possibly some sort of laminated safety glass?)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy