RE: ALF prototype work, RTC tests

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >I'm resuming work once again on the 1:12 scale ALF prototypes.

That's great news Greg! I can't wait to see what this thing does.

 >However, the most satisfying bit came from testing the 'secondary energy
 >recovery' concept, that I mentioned briefly a while back in this post:

Again this is very interesting. If I set the controls on the OLTC II "right"
I could achieve energy recovery, but I didn't actually want it as it
interfered with my resonant charging. Anyway I agree that the energy
recovery concept is usable since I've seen it happen.

 >In a standard TC, this remaining unusable energy
 >would remain trapped in the secondary, eventually ringing down to zero

I found the streamer generation in my OLTC II worked very well and left
practically no energy in the secondary. Maybe Electrum and ALF behave
differently because of their sheer size. I have heard it said that a spark
is fully formed in about 300us, so I guess it makes sense to start energy
recovery if there is any left after 300us.

But mine was all gone in 100us :(

An e-field probe trace showing the OLTC II output with streamer loading
(100us/div)

http://scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/experiment/100bps_36in_spark.jpg

The same without streamer loading

http://scopeboy-dot-com/tesla/experiment/100bps_unloaded.jpg