Re: Best, easy way to protect NST?

I think RF chokes have been shown to cause problems.  You may want to look
at the Terry filter instead.  A string of MOV's from each bushing to NST
ground (chassis), with a string of caps in parallel with each MOV string,
and 1Kohm 100W resister betwen each bushing and the safety gap.  For a 15KV
NST, use 8 1800V MOVs in a string and 8  0.047uf 1600V caps in a string.
Digikey has the parts.  I changed the cap value to 0.047uf from Terry's
original schematic and increased the number for higher voltage ratings.
Probably can find a link to Terry's schematic in the archieves that also has
digikey part numbers on it.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

Gerry R.