Re: some new ideas for the SSTC guys

At 01:09 PM 10/4/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Kreso Bukvic" <kreso.bukvic-at-kc.htnet.hr>
>Well im going to be stupid again :-).
>
>But what is a hiatus?

A break, interruption, or gap, in reference to activities or a time span.
No particular time span is implied, although I would think that hiatus
would normally apply to a time span similar to the span of the activity
you're talking about.

Also  used in the TV industry a lot.  Originally, it would refer to a time
when a show was temporarily not being produced (sort of like vacation, but
typically synchronized to the TV seasons).  Traditionally, all the networks
did their production in virtual lockstep, so all the shows "went on hiatus"
at the same time, typically in early fall (production runs several months
before broadcast).  This would give the crew and talent a chance to work on
other projects (i.e. feature films, which get produced on a schedule tied
more to summer blockbuster releases or to Academy Award contention).

The whole scheduling thing is inextricably tied to our agrarian roots and
prehistoric harvest festivals.  If Persephone had just managed to avoid
eating that pomegranate, just think how much simpler life would be.

Now it's used as a euphemism to mean "furloughed", "laid off" or
"unemployed", much like stage actors "resting".