RE: 4 Grids

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt-at-socket-dot-net>

Mike,
I had first thought about a 4-1000A but I was told they were not as good
as the 304tl for coil use. I retired early due to health problems and do
not have a lot to spend on this. I am trying to use what I have. I have
the 304's, some 4-1000a's and C1583A's on hand. I also have a 3CX1000A7
but was going to save that for a RF amp at 14 and 21 MHz.

Rich

Subject: Re: 4 Grids

Original poster: "Mike" <induction-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi,
       When I saw the initial post about the 304TL I went to our tube
supply
area here at the lab to see if I had one, as I thought I did.
It turned out to be a 304TH, which I think is generally the same tube
but
with a different gain. This one I had pulled out of a working low power
induction heater some time back. What you could do is series 2 sets of
the
filaments, add power resistors to balance out the current draw across
both
tubes you have in series and run with the lower emission. You will loose

some power output but that may be better than nothing.
What I do not understand is why are you using such a hard to replace
tube
when you can get 4-400's, and triode connect them or 3-500 z triodes
which
are very available, even 4-1000A's are out there plenty and just triode
connect them.
833A tubes are still around, we have lots of them in stock at work, even

have a bunch here and they are still in production. That is a 10 volt
tube
at I think 10 amps, ~450 watt dissipation. If you plan on high current
pulses, the 4-400PR (pulse rated) tetrodes are great, I have a pair of
those, 5 volt filament. They fit the same base as the 4-125, the 4-250,
4-400A
For those larger commercial tubes ( where I work we also used to rebuild

tubes) they are often done in filament sections and the sections are in
the
end parallel connected to the filament terminal posts. It is easy to see
if
you've lost sections of filament yet the pieces have fallen where they
do
not short the tube elements out. Like the water cooled 6696A or in the
air
cooled version the 6697A, an air radiator is simply soldered to the
anode.
These are used up to 80 kW, have 12 sections of filaments and a typical
filament current of ~205 amps. So, if your amp probe shows a reduction
in
current of 17 amps, you lost one section and so forth. In tech support,
when the complaint is the tube is lit but the output has dropped off, we

look for that. Also, the filament transformer voltage to the tube will
start to soar as the load backs off and that is another sign.
Sockets are so available for the 3-500z, the 4-400 family, though all of

them demand forced air cooling even with no plate power. Have you
considered these?
Regards,
                Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>