Re: Equalizing resistors for electrolytic capacitors

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 04:59 PM 11/29/2004 -0700, you wrote:
Original poster: "Jan Wagner" <jwagner@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Tesla list wrote:
I have a large number of small electrolytic capacitors I am trying to connect in series. Since they have the nominal -10% to +85% value control on them the potential exists for a unequal division of voltages.

If you have many of these electrolytics available, what you can do is simply measure their capacitance. For your DC smoothing/supply cap you can take those that have about the same capacitance.
Even then, adding a parallel resistor to bleed off the charge from each cap would still be a good idea, that way you'd know that in at least X seconds the cap bank will have discharged to a safe voltage level.

A common guideline is around 500 ohms-1K/volt for the resistor. A 450V cap would get a 220K - 470K resistor. Watch the power dissipation... several watts wouldn't be unusual. At this kind of value, you're going to have several mA through the string, which is far more than the usual leakage current.