Re: Secondary winding direction

Original poster: JBarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess I am just looking to tune my coil.

Jim

"Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

11/26/2004 02:32 PM
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: Secondary winding direction

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 6:17 PM Subject: Secondary winding direction

> Original poster: JBarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > > HI, > > I have a very basic Tesla Coil question. Does the primary and the secondary > need to be wrapped in the same direction? If so how is this determined?

It doesn't make any difference whether the primary and secondary are wrapped
the same direction (unless you're building multiple coils in the same
system, as in a bipolar system).  All it does is change the relative
polarity, but has no real effect on sparks, voltage, etc.

> A friend of mine and myself have been working on our first coil for about
> year now and we read somewhere the primary and the secondary needed to be
> wound in the same direction.
>
> Other than by calculation is there anyway to measure the frequency of the
> secondary directly. I do not have an Oscilloscope.

Do you really need to measure the frequency?  Or, do you just need to make
sure that the primary and secondary are tuned to the same thing?