DC Tesla Coil - was rotary spark gap

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting your work online.  Your designs are easy to follow.

I haven't built a rotary gap yet.  But I'm moving in that direction.  My
next coil will be a small 75 watt DC coil.  I'm going to experiment with a
variometer in the primary circuit for tuning.  The variometer will be
modeled after one of Tesla's designs involving two flat spiral coils on a
sliding brass rod.  The centers of the coils will be connected through the
brass rod.  The coils will be wound with 24 gauge 1:4 ratio flattened magnet
wire.

I wound two 13" flat spiral coils on 3/16" Plexiglas, one with the windings
going the same direction and one with the windings going opposite
directions.  With just one 13" flat spiral coil, the inductance was about
4.5 mH.  With two flat spirals wound in the same direction at 3/16" apart
and connected through the center, the total inductance was just 1.11 mH for
the entire wire length.  With the same parameters but wound in opposite
directions, the total inductance was 121 mH.  The opposite wound coil has
other interesting properties as well.

I'll use the opposite wound coils on a sliding brass rod to adjust the
inductance in the primary circuit since it will give the greatest range.

I think that because I'll have so much control over the primary resonance
that I'll just use a static gap to begin with.  But since I have no
experience with rotary spark gaps I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out
on an opportunity to significantly increase the frequency and overall
performance.  What do you think?

Dave