Re: Spark gap construction

Original poster: "Bert Pool" <bert.tx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

These copper pipes get HOT!  PVC would probably last about a minute.

You might try what I've successfully done:

Small ceramic or porcelain cylinders work well as supports (four per copper cylinder, two if you can find long ones) - I have found these ceramic insulators at ham fests and electronic junk places. Lay the ceramic cylinders down on their sides and epoxy them down - lay the copper cylinder on top of them. Copper cylinder gaps always pit & corrode during use, You can rotate the cylinders and expose a fresh surface! Eventually you do have to sand them down to clean them.

( http://www.electronicsurplus.com/ ) has some very cheap insulators that would probably be suitable:

H H Smith Ceramic Standoff
H H Smith number 2538 bushings. Threaded ceramic insulators 1/2" long and 3/8" in diameter with 6-32 threaded holes in each end.
04Z038 Unit Price : $0.65

Cheap, simple, and easy to do.

You can probably find other sources out there.

Bert Pool