Re: More facts: Coil size to faraday cage size ratio

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Since the signals of concern are fairly HF (i.e. >30 MHz), it would be
interesting to find out where they are coming from.  Is it high order
harmonics from the LC ringdown (unlikely... we're talking VHF
frequencies
here, and 100 MHz would be 1000th harmonics of the 100kHz fundamental).
Probably more likely radiation from primary circuits (as Terry had noted
some years back) or from the streamers themselves.

So, maybe something to kill the HF content in the primary circuit
(ferrite
cores on the wires to/from the sparkgap?  Have to choose an appropriate
material, so they don't absorb too much energy at the fundamental and
overheat."

	I'd bet the HF stuff is coming from the circuit between the capacitor
and the gap, which is exactly the schematic of an efficient spark gap
transmitter.  I can't imagine the streamers would have a low enough
impedance to radiate (if it is radiation) much HF power.

	A number of years ago I observed that a small TC (!350 kHz) here didn't
produce much interference at the BC band, but did produce quite a bit of
TVI on Channel 2.  The latter was the same with or without the secondary
in place.  Didn't try to fix it as I didn't run it very much.

Ed